Monday, July 25, 2005

Pioneer Day in my little town...

It's been forever again since my last post....

We've just had our big town Pioneer celebration on Saturday. I'm always amazed at the magnitude of what goes on here in this little town.

I was in charge of the Relief Society float this year. My first ever time. We took a 35 foot gooseneck trailer and transformed it into a Quilting memories extravaganza complete with treddle sewing machine and lots of beautiful quilts. I'll post a picure soon.

Anyway, the day started with the Fun Run. Rich and I were up pre-dawn to set up. Almost 100 people participated... then I was off to make sure that my float got to it's designated place complete with my beautiful quilt queen ladies.... climbing up on the trailer in a dress is not easy!

After the parade it was onto lunch in the park where 350 hungry people where fed BBQ beef or hotdogs. I helped serve while Rich collected money.

Then it was rodeo time!!! Can't miss that!!! So, we all sat in the hot sun and watched our nephew win the steer riding. Way to go Joe! He was so handsome in his cowboy attire complete with chaps, hat, and a pretty shirt.

Family time next as we gathered at sister-in-laws home for BBQ. John made roasted ham and turkey in his roaster on wheels. It was delicious. We sat and visited a while then...

It was time for the Talent Show. Now this is my absolute favorite part of the celebration. There is so much talent here. My favorite number was by a gentleman who grew up here but moved east. With his guitar he sang a song about Wyoming's open spaces... his own creation... it was very moving.

I forgot to mentioned that this was an "all school reunion" too. I didn't go to school here (remember I'm a transplant from Massachusetts... a city girl... gone country!) but I sure did enjoy visiting with everyone.

Which brings me to today... Monday...
Time to dismantle the float. Quilts to fold up... sewing machines to return. Pin to undo... skirting to be removed... chicken wire and lathe which support the skirting... Then we'll be done...

No comments: